1813 - 1823
Monasteroris National School was known for many years as Edenderry (2) National School. Its history extends back to 1813 when the first school building was built of lime and stone and covered with English slate at Church Walk, Edenderry. The school was built by the Marquees of Downshire at a cost of £159.00, which was deemed expensive at the time.
Parish records show that Mr James Allen was appointed as principal in 1823 and worked six days weekly and was obliged to teach Sunday School each Sunday. The Allen family had apartments at the rear of the school house. Records from August 1823 show that 72 children were attending the school, 39 of whom could read.